09 August 2026

Karen Haden News - Aug 2026

 


I had great news from the hospital this week. My latest PET scan results show the treatments are continuing to work against the cancer tumour cells. I did not even have to wait for my appointment date. An oncology nurse rang me as soon she knew. This means I can continue as before for another six months - more trips with Simon, time with family and friends, writing novels and watching the grandchildren grow up 😊

Books and Articles

Paying in Blood will be Aspects of History’s “Book of the Month” in September. You will be able to read a new interview on their web-site Aspectsof History , plus I’ll put some pieces about my research for the novel on my Articles page.

Both Paying in Blood and Naming the Dead are available at Baxby Books . If you haven’t already done so, please consider giving some Amazon stars as these are a great help. You can also see maps and character lists on my site.

In July, Aspects of History recently asked me to review T.L. Mogford’s latest novel – a historical heist called The Saffron Thief, currently available in hardback and kindle. It is set a little later, after the 1666 Great Fire of London, when saffron spice was as expensive as gold. The Saffron Thief was a good read, with warmth, suspense and rich historical detail. The review will appear in the August edition of Aspects of History on-line magazine, and I will add it to my site Book Reviews.

Future Plans

Apologies for the delay finishing Baxby Mystery 3. Tiredness from the treatments has slowed me down, but it will be worth the wait! Baxby will return to London in very different circumstances from those in which he left. His story will merge with the 1613 timeline in gaol.

My daughter Zoe has finished beta-reading the manuscript and I’m 25% the subsequent edit. In addition, Simon and I have booked a final research trip to Hatfield House later this month. Robert Cecil built it during King James’ reign, next to the older palace where Queen Elizabeth I lived in her youth, so there will be lots to see.

Having had such good PET scan results, I’m also exploring ideas for future novels too 😊

 

Many thanks again for all the support and encouragement,

 

Karen H